Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Knee-High Socks


Ahh, the knee-high sock! I have like 6 pairs of these babies in my dresser. I LOVE them. I cannot wait for this summer so I can flaunt them off. I've been having to hide them under my jeans, but not for much longer, it's starting to get warm outside!

It's really fun to wear knee-high socks. They come in all sorts of colors and patterns and such, these socks really just tell people about you. For example, would you choose the socks pictured above over plain white ones? If you choose the ones pictured above, I can see that you like fun, quirky things. And if you choose the white well, then, you don't, plain white is boring, sorry.

According to Wikipedia, (yeah yeah, I use wikipedia, I bet you do too) socks are designed to:
  • ease chafing between the foot and footwear
  • protect footwear by absorbing perspiration and dead skin lost from the foot
  • provide comfort
  • be fashionable
  • keep the feet warm

I am pretty much quoting wikipedia word for word in this upcoming bit, just so you know.

Socks were originally made from animal skin, wrapped around the foot and tied around the ankles. In the 8th Century B.C, the greeks wore socks from matted animal hair for warmth. The Romans also wrapped their feet with leather or woven fabrics. By the 5th Century AD, socks called ‘puttees’ were worn by the holy people in Europe to symbolize purity. By 1,000 AD, socks became a symbol of wealth among the nobility. From the 16th Century onwards, an ornamental design on the ankle or side of a sock has been called a clock.

The invention of the knitting machine in 1589 meant that socks could be knitted six times faster than by hand. Nonetheless, knitting machines and hand knitters worked side by side until 1800.

The next revolution in sock production was the introduction of nylon in 1939. Until then socks were commonly made from silk, cotton and wool. Nylon was the start of blending two or more yarns in the production of socks, a process that still continues.

It has become a recent trend in pop culture today to attempt to fit a sock over your head. However, medical problems have occurred through such behavior, including shattered nose bones and in some cases suffocation.

Knee-high socks are often associated with dress codes, such as school uniforms and different sports teams. But, they can be worn with anything, at anytime.

That is about all that I have on the knee-high socks. I just think that they are sensational and awesome and I think i'm going to wear a pair today as I go out to do some errands. It's not quite warm enough to wear shorts though, so I guess I will have to hide them under my pants. :(

1 comment:

  1. Knee highs rock! I wear them for school-plain black though.

    ReplyDelete