Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Blue Whale

A few posts ago I said that the biggest things are the most important and now feel the need to back up that claim.

No, that's not right. The claim doesn't need to be backed up (it's obvious!), and the above statement was just a way for me to start my post. Yes, that sounds good.

My fascination with things big and awesome began early. As a small child visiting Kings Island in Cincinnati, Ohio, I rode the Beast many times. What is the Beast, you ask? Why, only the longest wooden roller coaster in the world. According to the official Kings Island website, anyway. This may not seem like it would make such an impression, but wait - there's more!

My delirious euphoria at having ridden the Beast again and again likely contributed to my getting lost at the park that day. After walking around aimlessly for some time, I realized I was lost and began to cry. Some kindly strangers took pity on me and I was eventually given a giant lollipop after I was found. The Beast lead to the lollipop, and the lollipop lead to whichever thing next left its big impression on my life. Thus, it can only be concluded that big begets big.

The blue whale is the biggest animal to have ever been begotten. Yeah, even larger than any dinosaur. Much more ferocious, too. Its heart alone weighs over 1,000 pounds. A baby blue whale is more huge than most full grown animals.



The blue whale is also the loudest animal on the planet, and it can grow pretty old too. They've got it all! They are seriously my favorite animal, and I'm not just saying this for the sake of the post. I think they are awesome on every level. Though I do wonder how much water they displace. I mean, if we took 12,000 blue whales weighing 400,000 pounds each from the ocean the sea level would probably drop like 10 feet.

Or maybe not. But they're still dang huge. And cute too:


Aww.

No comments:

Post a Comment