Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Rain

I love rain. My favorite, non-vacation, weather moments, all have to do with rain. Some people think rain is depressing, this may be what contributes to the high suicide rates in rainy places. But I like rain. Without rain it would be extremely difficult for life on earth to happen. Below are my favorite "rain" weather events.

Thunderstorms are amazing. They never seem to last long enough. When its the middle of the day, but dark outside; when its the middle of the night, but its momentarily light outside; when booms of biblical proportions roll across the land; that's a sensational time. The power of nature, its just awe-inspiring.

Another rain weather event I like does not have a name that I know of. It's when there's black storm clouds, with obvious rain, and lightning in the distance. But there's sunny sky above. Or the opposite. When its storming, and there's a sunny sky in the distance, this is also amazing.
Especially at sunset.

Ocean rain. Ahhh. Just thinking about it makes me want to go on a vacation. The warm downpour of the ocean. I've experienced these in Hawaii, California, Texas, and Florida. It smells unlike normal rain. Its a peaceful kind of smell. With a dash of salt. And its so warm that it's just like taking a shower. This is a must have on any list of things to do on vacation. Get caught outside during a rainstorm.

One of the many places I want to live later in life is the Olympic Peninsula. The rainiest place in the continental U.S. Also the location of Forks. The town of Twilight fame. While that is a huge added bonus, just the rain is enough. Next time you watch Twilight, see Washington, or are in a rainstorm, pay attention to the weather. That's sensational weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment